Who's the cutest girl around?

I am a mom of a cutie pie (very biased). And I wanted to share my experiences with others (including my cuties grandparents, great-grandparents, numerous uncles and other relatives). I love being a mom and can't imagine doing anything else.

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Check-ups

We are home from our check-up (finally). It started with us leaving the house at 8 and we just got home at 2:15...But we're home and that's good. I didn't realize how disappointed I would be by today's visit. I thought that they would either admit us so we could start some kind of treatment or that her numbers would be so low that she would be healed. Instead neither happened. Her WBC's are back up to 120 but her Red BC and Platelets are both up too...Which would not be the case if her bone marrow was clogged with white cells. Another puzzle to add to the pile. So we get to stay home and have a visit again next Thursday to check her levels again (CBC-complete blood count). Between now and then we are to see if she is lethargic, has a fever over 100.5, doesn't eat, doesn't pee, doesn't poop, eyes make weird movements, one side of her face drooping, seems to be in pain and a bunch of other little tiny signs that I am now going to be crazy looking for. So we're supposed to live our lives, enjoy each day and look for any little sign of sickness...hard to do both. Wonder how to balance.

Last night was horrible. She just seemed to wake up every hour. It was nice to have my parents her so they could take some of the shifts. She would start to cry and all we had to do was pat her back or hold her hand and she would fall right back to sleep. Wonder if she was having bad dreams. And this AM's nap was nonexistent because we were at the hospital. Needless to say she crashed the second we got in the car to come home. Pray tonight will be better.

Pray that my dad has a safe trip home (my mom is staying and dad is coming back to get her this weekend...so thankful mom can stay. Don't' think I could do all this without them). Pray that he doesn't have to hard of a time being home...I know it was hard to leave during all this. Pray that there are no signs of sickness. And pray that we find some kind of juice that she will drink because we are supposed to keep her really hydrated and she doesn't like to drink anything unless its formula and she's really hungry.

I'm going to sleep while I have the chance.

12 Comments:

Blogger Suzanne said...

Emily,
I got the link to your blog off Briana's blog for Judah. We met through the blog world. I am at the SG church in Knoxville, TN. I am praying for Alivia!!

It's so encouraging to see all the people who love you and your family! Hang in there!

Suzanne

2:55 PM  
Blogger beth said...

I am praying for you...
love you and miss you,
xxoo,
bethie

3:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dear emily,

hope you are refreshed from your nap - so glad that your mom is there with you thru the end of the week.

be encouraged today -
your God continues to work,
he remains faithful,true,strong
. . .always sovereign & good.

praying for you today.
love you, mrs. c

3:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Emily,
Erich and I are praying for your little Livi. May the Lord strengthen you and give you both peaceful sleep tonight. Remember that God loves her and He has his hand upon her.

Love,
Tonya

3:30 PM  
Blogger Briana Almengor said...

Oh how familiar sounding your day and thoughts are to me! That whole balance of watching for every little sign that something's wrong while "enjoying and living life"...it seems like a joke, doesn't it?

I used to think and still do to some degree, "Dr.____, you don't have a sick kid at home, do you? You have no idea that what you're telling me to do is IMPOSSIBLE: scrutinize every move she makes AND live a normal life!"

There were moments earlier on and less frequently now that I thought I was going to go crazy, watching Judah so closely, afraid to sleep. What an "in your face" opportunity to trust God...there simply IS no other choice, b/c you WILL go crazy watching her like a hawk.

LOVE this passage and it is God's promise to us:

"IF you make the Most High your dwelling--even the LORD, who is my refuge--then no harm will befall you, no disaster will come near your tent. FOR He will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways; they will lift you up in their hands, so that you will not strike your foot against a stone. ...'Because he loves me,' says the LORD, 'I will rescue him; I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name. He will call upon me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble, I will deliver him and honor him. With LONG LIFE will I satisfy him and show him my salvation." PS. 91

Thank you, LORD, for your precious Word!

Emily, when I felt like I was going to loose my mind watching for all the things the doctors told me to watch for (and the list seemed to grow with each doc. we met with), I would stop and pray (sometimes multiple times throughout the day) that God would open my eyes to whatever I needed to observe and allow me to walk in peace otherwise, knowing that God's eye is EVER upon us.

God won't miss a beat with Alivia, my friend. Pray that whatever HE sees that you also need to see, that He'll show you or someone else. And, then just rest in the knowledge that God cares for our little ones so much better than we can.

IS. 40:11
Ps. 32:8

Love you much and praying for you continually!

3:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Em-
Thanks so much for keeping us up to date on everything. I know that there are moments when you probably get tired of "blogging."

I am so glad that you are at home again! That is a blessing. It feels like it's been awhile since I've seen you- but another market weekend is right around the corner, so I might have to wait till next week. =(
I will miss you at caregroup tonight. I love you & you guys are in so many of my thoughts!
-Ang

4:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! I don't envy your job of watching out for little signs of sickness and trying to be "normal" at the same time. I will definitely pray that God will give you grace for that.
I continue to pray for her healing. Like you said, it is a puzzle...but not to the Almighty. I am earnestly praying that he will give the docs some extra wisdom here!
And, what about the icee machine??? She seemed to like those...can't you have one installed at home??? Sounds like a plan. But, if that is not in the budget this month...maybe some homemade kind in a blender...frozen kool-aid...otter pops??? Oh, I am running out of suggestions.
Hope you get some rest.
Call if you need anything.
Love, Les

4:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Emily--
When I couldn't get Izaak to drink juice, the doctor recommended Gatorade (either straight or watered down) because it's a little sweeter, but it has all of those electrolytes, etc that they need. That is also what they gave him when he was in the hospital and needed liquids. Just a thought...hope it helps!

8:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thinking of you this am. Hoping you had a restful night.

Love, Les

8:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Praying for you, Alivia and James!

Grace and peace to you dear sister!

9:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Try 100% frozen juice pops! They are the only things my girls will take when they are dehydrated with fevers.

Love you, Beth

9:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good morning Emily-

we missed you at care group last night. i am praying that you would be able to readjust to your home and that you would be able to notice signs in Alivia. you have done an excellent job noticing and telling when she was getting a cold, teeth, or ear ache. i want to encourage you again that all of this unknown is not a surprise to God. may you trust that he knows all the details as you wait.

"Your steadfast love, O Lord, extends to the heavens,
your faithfulness to the clouds." Psalm 36:5

love you and praying for you!
love -jamie and lyndon

10:54 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home