Who's the cutest girl around?

I am a mom of a cutie pie (very biased). And I wanted to share my experiences with others (including my cuties grandparents, great-grandparents, numerous uncles and other relatives). I love being a mom and can't imagine doing anything else.

Thursday, April 13, 2006

A note from Gigi (Grandma Gretchen)

We actually got to put Livi in her "car" today, remove the i.v.'s and take a twenty minute walk outside. It was very therapeutic for the adults. Having BIll and Cynthia here today was "side by side"...walking through this with them is so helpful. Pleaase pray for Livi to sleep tonight, she is exhausted...but every medical worker and/or the sight of a stethoscope freaks her out. No sleep means less coping ability for all of us.The extended Allen's are coming tomorrow...So good to see them all.Andrew flying in from Georgia, Aaron is picking him at Pitts. Airport and is bringing him here. The Pete's are coming and bringing Marmie (Dave's 80 year old mother who just got out of the hospital due to the stress of all this) who insists her 85 year old doctor told her: "Mrs. Allen you have to go!"
It will be good to talk and get some stories from others...we have all begun to just share what happened in the Ronald McDonald room, how the tiny little patients are doing. The Byler boy has had a hard time being weaned from the respirator, Ryan a 3 year old having his third heart operation has pleural effusion...His father actually works for Hershey Medical Center as a fund-raiser. He said, "why, wouldn't I want to work for the hospital that has saved my son's life?" I had started to look at the heart patient's as the "lucky ones"...they look so pitifully at you when you tell them that possible diagnosis is some virulent form of leukemia. People even look at Livi's little port (underneath her clavicle) and inquire; "Is she on chemo?" "My sister has leukemia and is sick as a dog." Not helpful...But it almost becomes our humor. Hmmm, leukemia "humor?" This was not my life last week, and I never wanted it to be my life. However, both Dave and I want more passion for Christ, and He has answered that prayer in no short order. We are desperate for him. And He is here, I feel him and you find yourself talking to other parents about God's goodness. I have no strength but his, I live each day for itself...I cannot allow myself to think further. I am sorry this is so long...Suggestions to cut it short are being received. Thank you for anyone and everyone who has even given us a thought. We LOVE YOU ALL. Gig (P.S. Forgive me if I am somewhat giddy...we need to go to bed ....)

8 Comments:

Blogger Vicki said...

Dear Dave and Gretchen,

Please know that all of Indiana is praying for you. We went to the Drowning Melville showing tonight and when we saw Dave in the one scene, I could sense the entire room was instantly thinking of you and praying for you. As we were leaving I was talking with Kathie K. about how grateful we are for this blog. We want desperately to be there with you, and the Lord has provided a way for us to be there through this blog. It was so good to hear from you and I am glad you rambled on and on, because I have been wanting to know how you are doing and how to pray for you as well. We all miss you and love you. You all are close to our hearts, and all of Indiana has this blog on our favorites, and we check it multiple times a day. I pray you will all sleep peacefully in the Master's hands tonight.

Love, Vicki Gold

1:03 AM  
Blogger Briana Almengor said...

Gretchen,
So good to hear your voice on this blog. In all my thoughts and prayers, you and Dave are there, too. And that cry for more passion for Christ: boy does He ever answer our prayers?
You all will never be the same again, but it's forging into your character things of Christ that will be undeniable by unbelievers and believers alike. You are bearing more of His image with every moment you all walk through this in His Strength.
And how right you are that it is ONLY by HIS strength you go on.
Praying for renewed mercies and strength, peace and rest for you all today.
Have a good family day together!
I'm with you in spirit.

8:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh GiGi!!!!

Just wanted to say that you were such a blessing to watch in action yesterday. You were just so kind, serving your family. You even took time to give me a big hug and comfort me. It is amazing to see how God just pours and pours grace out when we need it most. You are definitely a tesitmony to that!!!

Love, Les

9:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh GiGi!!!!

Just wanted to say that you were such a blessing to watch in action yesterday. You were just so kind, serving your family. You even took time to give me a big hug and comfort me. It is amazing to see how God just pours and pours grace out when we need it most. You are definitely a tesitmony to that!!!

Love, Les

9:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear GiGi (I don't ever want to hear "Grandma" and "Gretchen" in the same breath again) Now I'm not going to get all blubbery and slobbery and serious with you, here. I'm just going to share some of the trials I am going through to put yours into perspective.

1. I've slept in the same pair of jeans 3x and worn them every day in between. Is this bad?

2. My little darling BellaDonna got a shot of steroids for her grossed out tail, and peed in the boys room (on top of the teen-age boys stink already well established in there for years) for about 2 weeks. I'm just waiting for the humidity to go up a point or two. Then we'll have to seal them up in their room with plastic, plywood and duct tape, and they'll have to go in and out through the window. Do you think this will bother my neighbors (code name: "will shotto" but keep that on the down low) or get me in trouble with any social services?

3. I was forced to go to a candle party and several women, from my own church I have to add, were shrieking and squealing at the other end of the room, right in front of my mother, so now I'm grounded.

4. Re: the above jeans situation. I sent one of my little children down to to laundry room to root through the piles for something to wear. As he/she was cutting a path through the mounds with one of my better knives, (I don't own a machete but I wish I did because it would come in real handy at times like this) they must have contracted some kind of infectious skin disorder and now I've got the CDC breathing down my back. I've gotten word that they might create a TV series based on this particular situation and if they do I won't have anybody but Dame Judith Dentch play my role. I know she's old, but she's the only one who could possibly capture my essence.

I have so much more in the way of personal affliction to share with you, but one of my kids has to go to the doctor (and I wonder where all my cigarette and beer money goes) so I HAVE TO GO AND GET DRESSED. This completely ruins my plan to stay just like I am, watch Dr. Phil and my stories, order Chinese from my couch and proceed directly to and through all my Friday night crime shows and then have someone carry me up to my bed for sleep.

That's all for now.
signed,
you know who i am

9:50 AM  
Blogger beth said...

love you and am praying for you...
xoxo,
your girl

11:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Gretch, Sooo glad to hear from you. We are all praying for you. Jim and I keep saying how many 100's of times we think about and pray for all of you. Sorry about missed phone calls-so glad I have an answering service--she's a live-in gal, real helpful and comes with the cutest little grandson I know! I was so glad to hear that A & A are on their way to visit. Laughter is such good medicine. I am sure they will brighten this weekend.

I'm not quite sure about this blogging stuff. First time user and all. Seems a bit out-there and exposing--I mean EVERYONE can read EVERYTHING HMMMMMM... I s'pose it could really help yuns with fear of man an all especially if yu c'nt spel reel good or sumpin' like gat. Who knows perhaps a break through is about two happ'n and there willbeliber-ation for all.

We miss all of you so much. The things that God is doing in your hearts and in your character is already so evident. I read it daily especially in Emily's recognition of His goodness to her in even the small details of her life. We love you all and continue to pray for diagnosis and healing.
Your pal, Greather :)

6:40 PM  
Blogger Zoanna said...

I love those little moments (like the spell check thing) that God gives us both for humor and encouragement. He doesn't miss a thing.

11:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home