Who's the cutest girl around?

I am a mom of a cutie pie (very biased). And I wanted to share my experiences with others (including my cuties grandparents, great-grandparents, numerous uncles and other relatives). I love being a mom and can't imagine doing anything else.

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Surgery

We all woke up at 4:45 (including Alivia) and got ready to get here. Livi did fine without having a bottle after 1:30. And she was allowed to have clears so we gave her some white grape juice on the way here.

We are out of surgery and in a room (7242) on the seventh floor. So nice to be able to hold our little girl in my arms. She did really well in surgery. We got here at 6:10 (late I know) and got all checked in, then went to the out-patient surgery center. We got checked in there and met out anesthesiologist (I can't spell read all big words quickly so as not to see the errors) and they gave her something to calm her. Then they drew blood so they could get a CBC to see where her plateletts were to help decide if she needed a transfusion. So after the blood draw (which went really smoothly because of the sedative) we waited for about an hour. We were calling Livi the "drunken sailor" she was so groggy and silly. She would point and laugh but then slump back and almost fall asleep. Very cute and a nice distraction. Then we walked her back to the entrance to the OR. Besides the waiting that was the hardest part of me. I hated handing her over. She cried a bit but settled down pretty well (sedative again!). Then we all went to breakfast in the cafeteria and then waited in the surgery waiting room. When they were done James and I got to go down to the recovery room and see her. Then I stayed with her till we came up to the room. She is hoarse from the intubation and has a 1 inch cut on the right side of her belly and they removed a lymph node from her jaw line instead of under her arm. So she has steri-strips on both and has a fever that they are keeping an eye on. they aren't sure if that is just her reaction to anesthesia (she got one the last time she came off of anesthesia) or if it is something else (pray it comes down quickly). Poor sweet girl. She is very relieved that we are all here now. She got to eat and did fine with formula.

My dad and I are going to get something to eat and my mom is holding the sleeping girl (Cynthia is keeping her company).

I'll write more later when we talk to the doc's. Thanks for praying! Please continue.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear everything went well and is over with. Ryan had a fever after surgery too but it went away after a few hours.
Please let me know if I can do anything to help or if you want visitors, though I suspect you won't be there long enough.

Holly, Kirk, and Ryan

1:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Emily-
I am thankful that she is doing well and was able to eat and that you were able to hold her. i have been praying and will continue to pray that her fever will go down. you have great supportive parents (Allens and Haughery) and i am thankful they are able to be there for you guys.
love you-jamie

1:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We were just out for a walk and I was praying the whole time. So glad to get back and see an update. Sounds like the surgery was a success and we will pray about that pesky fever!
Keep hanging in there! Glad your mom is there. I am sure that is a relief for you!
Love, Les

1:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Emily,
So very glad that part is behind you and that Alivia did so well. I'm sure the drunken sailor act was a riot. I so hope Kris doesn't read this but I have to tell you that when she was about 4-5, she had her tonsils out. They gave her the relaxer too and she sat up in her bed (pre-op)and was bellering at the top of her lungs.."mama's little baby loves shortening,shortening,mama's little baby loves shortening bread." She entertained quite a few that morning. Just think, one day you will be able to razz Alivia about the act that she put on this morning, preferably in front of her first boyfriend!
Will be praying for great results.
Maryann P.

1:41 PM  
Blogger Briana Almengor said...

Emily,
I am so glad you get to have all your family with you. I'm sure that is such a blessing and great support to you and James.

We have a bit of an affinity for the "red juice" (the sedative); although Judah has done his last several surgeries without it much to my amazement. Who knows but that Livi will get to that point, too. If not, isn't that stuff the best? I think they created it more for mommy's sake than the childs. :)

Here's a little more unsolicited advice (I trust you'll tell me if you want no more of my unsolicited advice): Keep records of the anesthetic mixes they give to Livi. I have always tried to keep track of them along w/ Judah's reactions. It will serve the anesthesiology teams in the future, should you need them again.

Our anesthesiologists are never put out by me asking them to simply jot down all the drugs and drug combinations (they call them coctails..isn't that funny?) they give to him and then I try to make notes on Judah's reaction during surgery and after.

To my knowledge, there aren't really that many anesthetic drugs, but I do think especially in kids, there are some that cause a more irritable reaction than others.

If you want to talk more about it with me, I'd be glad to pull out Judah's records and let you know what all I've learned.

My posts are always tooo long. Sorry. :(

Glad things went well, and we're continuing to pray for wisdom and revelation into what is ailing your sweet little girl.

Love you much.

2:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like it is going well. Now they just need to find out what it is! We're prayin for that. Aunt Cheryl

3:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

so thankful to hear livi's doing well and that you all have been surrounded with your family...what a blessing!

4:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Emily-
We are still praying. Just wanted to let you know you are always in our thoughts and prayers.

Gabriel, Stephanie, Zion and Isaiah Bowman (from WV)

4:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Emily-
We are still praying. Just wanted to let you know you are always in our thoughts and prayers.

Gabriel, Stephanie, Zion and Isaiah Bowman (from WV)

4:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Livi is ready for bed...as are the adults as well. She and her Mom have been troopers today, God's grace being abundant. Her surgeon's have been in and looked and listened; the oncologist probably will be in tomorrow AM. If she does well (e.g. no bleeding from low platelets at the biopsy sites) we should be able to go home tomorrow. Gigi (Bri, your blogs are longer than mine, but you have much to say...the censors have warned me for the last time about my content and length!!)

9:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home