Who's the cutest girl around?

I am a mom of a cutie pie (very biased). And I wanted to share my experiences with others (including my cuties grandparents, great-grandparents, numerous uncles and other relatives). I love being a mom and can't imagine doing anything else.

Thursday, September 14, 2006

from Indiana

We are in Indiana! The visit to Hershey Medical went fine. Alivia's counts were all down. The WBC's were down to 84.5 (good but remember high for a normal person is 19) and both her RBC's and plateletes were down. So the hydroxyurea (remembered how to spell it) is working...but hopefully not working too well on the RBC's and plateletes. Our next visit is Monday to check counts again. Hopefully that will be a quick trip too. They got blood on the first try and all the nurses think it was just a positional thing. Thank God...all the other options would have required surgery to fix. The bone marrow came back and suprise, suprise it was almost identical to the last one. They have all 5 been identical. Maybe we can not have one for a while now. So the next step is to keep bugging Johns Hopkins till they give us an appointment.

I only had one small bit of crying today. I was outside a patient room waiting for the doc to get down with something and I could hear the little boy inside crying over and over "I don't like it"!! Couldn't have said it better myself.

Andrew got on the road around 3 so he'll be in Indiana around 11. Can't wait to see him. At one time in our lives we fought about just about everything but over the last few years we have both grown up a lot and now are friends. I miss him when he's away (which is a lot since he doesn't live close) and get so excited to see him. He loves Alivia so much...in the beginning I don't think he knew what to do with this little baby but now he just can't get enough. Thanks Andrew it means the world to me. Can't wait to see you.

I mentioned yesterday that I am going to start collecting a new item to take to the Hershey Medicical Clinic with me. Well here are the details. After a child gets blood drawn, gets a bone marrow biopsy or spinal tap (older kids get these done in the office under local anesthesia) or just sees the doc they get to pick a toy out of this big treasure box. Often parents bring in donations for the box cause the pickens can get pretty slim. Right now there are about 50 of the same pink horse and not much else. So I want to start collecting things for the box. In the past there have been activity books, small games, or toys from fast food resteraunts. The toys need to be brand new and preferable in the wrapper. Most of the toys are little and under $5. Another really cool thing that people do is knit hats for the kids who have lost their hair. Over the next month and a half I will be collecting these things. So if you go out for a fast food meal and can afford it buy a toy or if you are in the dollar store and there are activity books buy one. Then you can send them to me, hand them to me in church or give them to my parents or James' parents. I won't take them to Hershey Med. till the first week of November. So if you can it would be another great way to bless someone going through cancer treatment. Thanks ahead of time.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so thankful that you are able to be in Indiana with your family. Isn't this such a blessing! I love your idea with the gifts for the kids, and I will think about this and try to be on the lookout for something (or some thingS cool) to send. Praying for things to go smoothly in setting up that needed appointment with Hopkins, praying for a happy visit in Indiana, rejoicing that things went well enough medically for you to come home. Praying, praying, praying for the miracle you long for. Wishing blessings for all of you.
Cathy S.

7:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Emily,

It's Natalie(Gamble)Murdick. I know it's been years! I just found out about your blog. I've been trying to read through to get an idea of what you(James and Alivia) have been dealing with. I just wanted to let you all know that you can add at least one more (me) to the looooong list of people who are praying for all of you! Keep the hope alive, you all seem to be dealing like champs! And by the way, Alivia is one of the cutest girls I've ever seen!

Love and Prayers!!!!!

9:03 PM  
Blogger Audrey said...

I am so glad that you are able to be with your family in Indiana this weekend...praying for a restful, refreshing time together as a family...
Love,
Audrey

9:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is good to be home, but only because we got to bring Emily and Livi with us...and Andrew is driving in from N.C. as I blog. (However, I can hear Livi crying in the background,she was already put to bed once...sleeping in a new room keeping her up, who knows, but her Mom could use some sleep!!!) They are up so often during the night, and each time I hear Emily's tender and reassuring voice with her dear daughter. Livi is so communicative in her own way, but some old parenting remedies are scary...letting her cry it out...when one is so sick you just can't apply all the normal rules. But Emily works diligently with her on attitudes, etc., in the kindest way...she is very good at speaking to her tenderly, lovingly and soothingly.
I am not sure when was the last time Emily slept through an entire night...I don't know quite how she does it. But I know that God's mercy is evident in that she can then cope with another day. We are still hoping for that miracle...and waiting for God's mercy to heal Alivia. She is so dear to all of us...and we enjoy her every moment. We were so excited last night, Livi standing in her crib, the rest of us dancing with her stuffed animals in her room, to some silly tune, and then she would look "coy" and stand without holding on! Oh, the clapping that she received. When this girls walks, why we all will have a good cry and laugh. God has indeed blessed us with such a dear one...I am thankful for each new day to enjoy her.
Thanks for praying and reading...it means the world to all of us. Love, Gigi

10:18 PM  
Blogger Julie Garner said...

Another great idea, Em! You are so thoughtful!!!

Glad you're getting time in Indiana! Enjoy!

Julie

10:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad that today went smoothly and that you are able to spend some time as a family in Indiana. Great idea with the gifts for the kids! I am on a mission and will be sending a package your way soon! Praying for a weekend full of laughter and love for you all!

10:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a blessing! So excited for you and Livi to get a chance to spend some time w/ your family. We'll keep praying for those blood counts & complete healing. Have fun this week-end... praying for a good count on Monday, too.

Denise

7:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Emily-
I am glad that you are in Indiana and able to spend time with your family and brothers. i know that feeling of looking forward to seeing siblings as mine too are far off in boston and denver. we will be praying for you and alivia and that Hopkins will call and give you an appointment soon. love you and we are off . . .lovejamie

10:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your heart to serve others as you go through this is such a HUGE evidence of God's grace in your life. Thank you for that. It keeps me humble as I walk through the tragedy that God has placed in our lives. Thank you for sharing all of this with others. You all are in our prayers. I will be sending you some toys etc.
Donna Bishop

11:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Emily
What a wonderful idea - gifts for the children. Your love and care for everyone at Hershey is truly amazing. Gods grace thats what it is. Still praying for you guys. Have a wonderful time in Indiana with your family.
Carol Landis

11:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have such great ideas! I am so happy you are able to spend some quality time with your family. I am glad that the doctors visit went well. I am praying for livi, and for the miralce we have all been hoping for. Have a great day in the lord!

thinking of you,
moriah

1:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Emily,

My mother asked me to tell you that she has begun making hats for the children.

I will send them with Zach's McDonalds toys to Aunt Gretchen.

Zach has been making coloring books for Magee Women's Hospital and the Kindergarden/First Grades at St. Philip. Could he make some for you? He loves to make them and it helps him to obtain service hours for school. Each Middle School student is required to earn 5 hours per semester. He staples 5 pages of coloring book pages in between a construction paper cover and tapes two crayons to the front.

Let me know if that is something that would be useful.

I am glad you are getting to spend the weekend with you family. I know that your strong faith and wonderful families are helping you and James to cope with all that you are going through.

We all continue to read the blog daily and more importantly are praying for Alivia.

I have asked my colleagues in India to pray for Alivia too. They are all young parents and I have shared your story with them. They ask about you all often and are all praying for you daily.

Love to all, Betsie Camp

10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Emily,

Know that I continue to pray for you, James, and Alivia. I have sent some things via your parents. Hopefully, they will help to bring some joy to those who desperately need it. You are such an inspiration to me and so many countless others through your acts of blessing the staff and all of thouse around you during this time.

Dawn Lingenfelter

7:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home