Who's the cutest girl around?

I am a mom of a cutie pie (very biased). And I wanted to share my experiences with others (including my cuties grandparents, great-grandparents, numerous uncles and other relatives). I love being a mom and can't imagine doing anything else.

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Labor Day

This weekend was busy, busy, busy. We planned on going to First Friday (art gallery's in lancaster all open up and have wine and cheese on the first friday of each month) but Ernesto rained us out so instead John, Chris and Will came to our house. Saturday we had a much needed family day. Sunday my parents came so James and I could go to a wedding in Maryland. But Saturday night was really hard with Alivia and both James and I couldn't imagine spending 4 hours (total) in the car. We hated to miss the wedding but the stress is really starting to get to us and driving a long distance seemed like a really bad idea. Instead my parents watched Alivia and we went to some local cook-outs that friends were having. It was so relaxing and a nice time for James and I to be together. Since Alivia has been sick we have only ever gone out alone one other time. Getting a babysitter just isn't possible. The list of medical things that someone would have to be aware of is so huge and we would be a nervous wreck the whole time we were out. So unless my parents (who have been around for most of the doc visits and know what to look for) are here we aren't at all comfortable leaving her at home. Thus we never go anywhere without her. It actually is nice to have her along and we miss her so much when she isn't with us. That and she's so well behaved when we are out and about it makes it a joy to take her with us. Anyway...than Monday we had a picnic at our house. About 25 people showed up and it was a really nice time. Thanks to Neil and Jess for driving so far to come visit. We miss you guys when we dont' see you.

It is getting harder and harder for me. I am drained and tired. It is painfully obvious that Alivia is not developing normally. Yesterday there were 4 kids all younger than Livi at the picnic. All four of them are walking or close to it and next to them it is obvious how huge Alivia's stomach is. I guess I'm so used to seeing it that I don't realize how big it is. I find myself crying much more than I used to. I can't believe this has been going on for almost 5 months. Its the longest, hardest 5 months I have lived through. Right when I was starting to get all down and sad yesterday the coolest thing happened. Alivia stood all by herself. Not by accident or without realizing it but on purpose and repeatedly. It was so cute how proud she was of herself. And she did it again today. I love her so much.

Here is a cute pic from today. I put her in her crib and put all the stuffed animals she owns in with her. She had a blast throwing them around, hugging them, kissing them and doing her little wiggly dance. What a sweet time.




Thanks for all the thank you cards. I think a few more might trickle in tomorrow. I am so excited to give them to the nurses Thursday.
Thanks to Erin Wallwork, Beth Mellinger, Anya Stolzfus, Tina Lapp, Lori Kohl, Denise Teaman, Jamie Sentz, The Bumbarger Family, Rochelle and Brielle King, Julie Duffee and her Horace Mann 4th Graders...Amazing.

Here is the tally-
Janiece- 52
Holly- 52
Lois- 56
Chris- 57
Cindy- 54
Carol- 55
Joanne- 52
Maritza- 54
Denise- 51

I can honestly say I never expected to collect this many notes. I thought that each person would write one and so I would get a hundred or so. But I am overwhelmed with how many people wrote 1, 3 or 9. It is so great and means more to me than you can imagine.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It would be fun to see the nurses'faces when they receive so many cards! I am continuing to pray for your strength and faith - and of course Alivia's healing - during this time. May you feel God's comfort and continuing guidance.
Cathy S.

9:37 PM  
Blogger Adalie Plain said...

The amount of thankyou notes makes me so happy! :) It's so wonderful... and I am sure the nurses will just love it (they'll think it's "the bee's knee's")

Praying for you!
-Adalie

10:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

She's so cute! Looks like mom created a really fun time with all the stuffed animals! Just wanted to let you know I'm still praying for God's healing to come to Livi and His comfort and peace to come your way. -Jan

10:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Emily, I can't even imagine what you must be going through. I find myself checking your blog several times a day just to see how you are doing and what your day is like.

Here is part of Psalm 56:1-4 from the Message:
"Take my side, God — I'm getting kicked around, stomped on every day. When I get really afraid I come to you in trust. I'm proud to praise God; fearless now, I trust in God."

Here is the same verse from the ESV:
"Be gracious to me, O God, for man tramples on me. All day long an attacker oppresses me. When I am afraid, I put my trust in you. In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I shall not be afraid."

Alivia, you and James, and your entire family are continually in my prayers.
Vicki Gold

10:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This was no small job, Emily. And you are truly going to bless those nurses...taking the time to thank for their goodness to your Livi. It is has been a mercy to have them care for her! Much love, MOM

10:23 AM  
Blogger Julie Garner said...

Missed coming to the cookout! :(

Can't wait to hear the report on how blessed the nurses are by your amazing gift.

Praying and praying for you!

See you when we get back from vacation!

Julie

4:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Emily...

I just wish I were there and we could hug and cry together. It breaks my heart to hear you in such pain. I have never been through what you are going through, but I have felt so bottomed out emotionally that it felt like my world was coming undone in other ways.

Livi is so special and is a perfect little creature in God's eyes. Even parents with kids that don't have her struggles compare their kids to other children. I have friends that are upset their kids aren't talking at the right level compared to their little friends, etc. It is normal to do that, but just know that Alivia is whatever God created her to be and that her illness has brought so many people together that would've never even known each other.

You hang in there...I know you wish she were well more than anything, but I am here to say that her illness has been a blessing in some ways you may not see. She has given you the gift of appreciating the little things that pass so many parents by.

It made me smile to hear you talk about those special little moments and how much you love her. Much as we want to have it all under control, those moments don't come as frequently to parents of well children. It is just human nature to take that stuff for granted when all is well.

Love,

Caroline

8:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, been trying to catch up with your blog since being without a computer for a while! Tears in my eyes after reading this entry and James'. Continually praying for strength and grace for you and always for healing for Livi!!! We love you!
Les and the fam

11:10 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home