Who's the cutest girl around?

I am a mom of a cutie pie (very biased). And I wanted to share my experiences with others (including my cuties grandparents, great-grandparents, numerous uncles and other relatives). I love being a mom and can't imagine doing anything else.

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Big Meeting

Wanted to start this blog with a cute picture so I am reminded who I am doing all this for. She is the most precious little girl I know and we are going to fight tooth and nail for her.

We had the first meeting with our transplant doc today. She is a very nice doctor who I have meet on other occasions and who Alivia is not afraid of (thankfully). She was very informative and gave us all books to read that will answer more questions. I'm full of questions but don't really want to know the answer to most of them cause the answers are hard to swallow. I am fighting not to dwell on the statistics right now. They are not very incouraging especially because of the type of leukemia that Alivia has. It is hard to get people with her disorder (or similiar disorders..because they have never actually seen this disorder before) into remission. Most of the time remission is neccassary for a transplant but we will get as close to it as we can before the transplant. Chances of a reaccurance of the leukemia without remission are higher. But we are trusting God that everything will be perfect. I'm just going to say the stats and then move on and not mention them again. There is a 13% chance of mortality, a 37% chance of reoccurance and a 50% chance of it working and her being healed. But God is not in to statistics is he?! He could heal my girl tomorrow. The best news we got today is that we will be home for Christmas. They want to do the transplant in January. Okay maybe that wasn't the best news...the best news was that her HLA typing (what they use to find a donor) is really good for finding a donor. There are 6 HLA markers and then those breakdown further into 10 total points they are trying to match. With a preliminary search there are quite a few people already that might match. They got our official permission to look at these people further. So they will start calling people who they think might match and doing further testing. Please pray for a perfect, 10 point match. Pray that the person they call will be willing and able and that they will be easy to find. Sometimes people aren't willing, have moved or have since developed something medically that would negate them from donating. So we praying for perfect.

Also please pray for Alivia's organs that they will continue to function well. Currently they are all doing well but any changes would mean a rush to transplant. We would love to avoid that. Pray that Alivia starts to walk soon. I know she is capable and just timid but for this mom it is really hard to see all the other kids her age or younger running around. I would love to have something that makes me feel a little normal. So that is a completely selfish prayer request...but there it is. Pray that God will provide us with a sweet nurse for transplant. We will be in the hospital at least 6 weeks and if today is any indication...I'm not too excited about leaving our clinic nurses. Even when we are discharged from the hospital we will still have to go to the transplant clinic for 6 months and I will miss the regular clinic nurses so much. One of the clinic nurses said that sometimes they will let transplant patients start going to the clinic again after a few months if they are doing well...that is something I will look forward to very much. Pray that Alivia's spleen shrinks or we will be having it removed the first week or so in December.

The pray request list could go on and on...but for now I'll stop. Mainly just pray for a miracle. Thanks

Thanks to Andy, Ann and Helena C. for the card, Janet B. for dinner and the Rickards for the note.

One last thing...if anyone works for a company that makes charitable contributions and they are looking for somewhere to donate go to friendsofalivia.blogspot.com . We have to raise quite a bit of money to pay for the drive we did on Sunday. Thanks

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Emily-
Thanks for sharing. I'm sure today was draining with all of the information you got & the weight it can be on your emotions. We will definately pray for all of the things you mentioned. Precious pic of Livi!
-Ang

5:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Emily,
I thought about you, James and Alivia a lot today. My kids at school asked me why I've been wearing the bracelet and after I told them, they all decided it would be a good idea "to think good thoughts for Alivia." You're always on my mind and now my third graders are thinking of you too! Enjoy trick-or-treating tonight!
-Kelly

6:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can you tell us about the preliminary matches? Where these matches found on Sunday? or in the national database?
Wow, I can't imagine what you are going through. Who would have laughed in the pouring rain? No one but someone who thinks that rain is the least of their problems. Glad to know that you could find laughter in the rain. God does provide.

7:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update. Couldn't have been easy to hear...or to type and recount. I have faith for your family, Emily. Alivia is going to do great! I just believe it. We will continue praying, as there isn't much else we can do.

Love the picture!

Sleep well...
Julie

9:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will be praying for you guys. I have been praying for a miracle ever since they announced it at church. I just pray the Lord's will, will be done. That we will see his mighty hand at work in all this. I am praying for you guys.

moriah

9:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was a hard day...but any day with Livi and her parents is a good day! Today was statistics and lots of technicalities...but, as we have prayed from the beginning, our God is inifinitely above all that. We are thankful for the wonderful caring nurses and doctors at Hershey, yet we yearn above all else to have Livi healed. While we know that God is good and loving, we don't understand in light of what we are experiencing. We are in the school of prayer and suffering, by his will...not ours. Come oh Lord, and hear our desperate prayers. Thankfully, You show yourself strong in our weaknesses. Jesus, you are indeed, our only Hope. Love, Gigi P.S. I couldn't have been more proud of my sons and daugther this past weekend at the bone marrow drive. They worked hard and served cheerfully, and most of all, showed their love for dear Livi. What a blessing and mercy to have all these people show up to be tested!

9:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Emily,
May the truth of this song encourage you and build your faith.

"The Lord is not our equal
He doesn't need the help of man
Who could ever give Him counsel
Who could ever stop His sovereign plan
Though men may boast of wisdom
And be filled with pride within
Who is bold enough to answer
When his Maker comes to question him

And we call on the name
Of the Holy Sovereign Lord
The King of all the earth
And we hope in the power
Of His awesome mighty hand
We tremble at His word
Who is like our God"

Pat S.

11:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lots to process here, but all I can think of is "Christmas, YEAH!!!!" I am happy that you will have the holidays together!
Love, Les

7:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's a statistic for you, Emily:
God hears and answers our prayers 100% of the time!
Thank you so much for all the info in your blog entry. It helps us to pray specifically. We continue to lift all of you up in prayer, praying for Livi's Miracle.

Mary Ann K.

P.S. Got my rainbow bracelet a couple of weeks ago from your mom at LOLC. They were selling more bracelets and my son bought one, too.

8:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wearing my rainbow swirl bracelet and thinking of the rainbow in the sky that God gave you. Yes, you are correct. God is not a God of statistics. There are no facts anywhere upon the face of this earth that can touch the face of the Lord. He alone deserves all the honor and glory and power. I will lift up my prayers to Him and Him alone for He finds favor with those who call out His name.

Keep calling out His name, Emily. He hears you, but is calling you to a deep place of faith...a place where very few people tread.

Love you all bunches..have the greatest week...

Caroline

10:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Still praying - thinking of the wonderful promise of your rainbow sign too. I am in awe of all those people who came out for the bone marrow drive - wow! Trusting the Lord to continue to hold you all in His hands -
God bless -
Cathy S.

9:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey emily, just wanted you to know we missed you tonight! thanks for "letting" james come though :) ..praying now for you all to have a good night of rest, kb

10:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Emily,
Thanks for sharing. My heart truly goes out to you and your family; no parent should ever have to go through this. I know that you have strong faith, and that will help carry you through this!
We will keep praying for you guys.
~Neysa~

9:43 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home