Who's the cutest girl around?

I am a mom of a cutie pie (very biased). And I wanted to share my experiences with others (including my cuties grandparents, great-grandparents, numerous uncles and other relatives). I love being a mom and can't imagine doing anything else.

Monday, October 30, 2006

This weekend

I thought I would start telling you about the bone marrow drive weekend with our Saturday activities. Rachel (my best friend since high school, the person Alivia gets her middle name from and bone marrow drive organizer extraordinare) arrived and she and I headed to the wonderful world of Costco. We got all the snacks for the drive and headed to our car. Out of nowhere it started to rain. It was a hard, freezing, soaking rain. We were running around trying to load the car...laughing like fools. We noticed others around us just standing and staring so of course we had to stop and look. There in the sky was the most amazing rainbow I ever saw. It looked like someone took a marker and drew a perfect rainbow in the sky...and you could see both sides. Here are the pictures I took (couldn't fit it in one frame). We took that as a sign that the weekend was going to be wonderful.

That night we had dinner. Bill, Cynthia, John, Will, Erin W., Rachel, Dave, Gretchen, Andrew, Aaron, Rachel, James, Alivia and I waited forever to get our food. But we made the most of long long dinner (over 2 hours) and had a nice time together. Alivia did great cause she was with most quite a few of her favorite people..and they had taxidermy animals in the resturaunt which she found amazing.

Sunday AM we arrived at Cimbrian (where the drive was) around 11 and set up. The volunteers were so amazing. We had a crazy, busy day. Over the course of the afternoon we added 355 people to the registry!! That is 155 more than we originally planned for. So overwhelming. There were times when you couldn't even move around and there was never a dull moment. (Aunt Ann could you send me some of the pictures you took so we can post them for everyone?) I couldn't even believe how many people showed up because they saw us on the news or read about it in the paper. Probably about half the people I didn't even know. Thanks to every single person who came. You don't realize how much it means to me and other parents with sick children.

We had a nice time today. Andrew, my parents, Alivia and I spent some time at the mall. I took some cute pictures which I will post later (my computer is acting up tonight). Currently my dad and James are on the way back from dropping Andrew off at the airport. It was a great weekend.

Tomorrow we have our meeting with the transplant team. They won't be giving us a time frame (I don't think) but they will be giving us more of an idea what we are facing. Not looking forward to it at all but that is the next step (I guess). My parents and James' parents are going with us for support and just to have more ears listening...sometimes someone will hear something James and I miss so its good to have others with us.

Tomorrow evening Alivia is going trick-or-treating for her very first time.I will most definelty post some pictures. It will be good to have something fun to do after such a huge, scary day.

Thanks to Cheryl A, Vivian H., and Janet B. for the toys for the treasure box. Thanks to Marmie, Mamaux, Erin and the McClements for the great cards and to Sandra Knowles for the gift.

A super, huge thanks to the volunteers yesterday...it wouldn't have worked without you guys. The volunteers were Rachel K. (organizer/ location oversight/she-who-I-lean-on-most), Andrew A. (location oversight), Aaron A. (barcoding), John H. (barcoding), Jamie S. (barcoding), Will H. (health screening), Cynthia H. (health screening), Dave A. (my dad/crowd control/directing/jack of all trades), Sonya L. (health screening), Andy L. (greeting/publicity man), Erin W. (health screening), Angie S. (health screening), Scott S. (who jumped when we desperately needed help with health screening), Leslie Y. (health screening), Ann B. (Bill's sister who drove from Virginia and ended up being the refreshment table manager), Bekah W. (cheek swab queen), Darcy S. (barcoding), Jason (health screening) and Matt H. (clean-up)

7 Comments:

Blogger momofcolin_chloe said...

AWESOME! What a success. What a blessing! So thrilled it was more than you expected!

Will be thinking of you all tomorrow. And praying as always.

355! Amazing! What a difference you've made!

10:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Emily,

I saw you and Livi on the WGAL news this morning (8:55am) at the B.M. Drive.
So thankful it was such a success.
The rainbow was, indeed, a sign.

Pat S.

10:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was an honor to be a volunteer! It was so great to see the outpouring of support for Livi. And, I have an increased knowledge of cholesterol lowering drugs, high blood pressure medication and acid reflux drugs. I am health screener extrodinaire!!!
Much love, Les

6:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We have periodically seen rainbows in our lives when we were facing terrible fears too. It's always such a comfort and things always do work out. When we see a rainbow now, it is evidence that God has not forgotten us and everything is going to be OK.

Aunt Cheryl

9:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a well-oiled machine going on with that clan on Sunday. Imagine how many people's lives you will be touching for years to come thru the folks you got registered.

Happy Halloween to the little pumpkin. I'll look forward to some more cute pics. Gotta get a family photo of y'all dressed up.

Love, Grande Aunt Lisa

9:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great day it was! It was an honor to be there and know that we could help in some small way.

The rainbow...oh, God's promise of hope! How beautiful!!!

Can't wait to see the pictures of Livi from tonight. Little Chicken! Have fun...and I'll be praying for you today. Looking forward to getting the update.

Love,
Julie

10:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Emily,

So great to see you, James and Alivia and everyone else on Sunday. It was lots of fun being wih everyone!
I've down loaded the pictures so I will send them to you (and prob. Bill) in an email.
Lots of love and prayers,

Anne

10:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home