Who's the cutest girl around?

I am a mom of a cutie pie (very biased). And I wanted to share my experiences with others (including my cuties grandparents, great-grandparents, numerous uncles and other relatives). I love being a mom and can't imagine doing anything else.

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

In our room

We spent about 6 hours in the transplant clinic (not our regular clinic but a little clinic on the 7th floor for transplant patients) getting IVIG and Pentamamin (IV antibiotic). It takes a while to get each of them (2 hours for the antibiotic and 4 for the IVIG with 15 min flushes in between and dose of benadryl before the IVIG that takes 15 min with a 15 min flush....you do the math). She did great. None of these are ones that we expected to have a problem with and she did great. We got into our room after all...there was some fear that we wouldn't get to go into our room cause there wasn't one available so there was talk about postponing another week...I told them I couldn't handle postponing. Either do it or cancel it no postponing. But thankfully a room opened up and we are now all settled into room 60 on the 7th floor. Here is our address....

Alivia Haughery
RM. 7260
500 University Drive
Hershey, PA 17033

Our day start tomorrow at 6 am with a weight and measure and vitals exam by the resident. Then at 8 we start the first dose of Busulfan (chemo). It runs every 6 hours and she will also be getting blood draws ever 15 min for the first few hours to see how her body processes the meds. These blood draws will be sent overnight to a special lab and the results will come in the AM. They will then know the perfect dose for her body. Seems crazy to give it without knowing the perfect dose but that's how it's done. She is happy so far only tears came when she had to take a new medicine (Dilantin) and it wasn't a flavor she liked so the nurse plugged her nose to get her to swallow it. Not a good time at all. We are going to try crushing the chewable type into cherry syrup the next time around cause it might not taste so foriegn. Pray that she will take it. Tomorrow could be a really hard time. Pray that she does well and that she doestn' get sick at all. People keep saying some kids "sail" through transplant...we want to be that family. Thats what I'm praying for.

On a lighter note just wanted to let everyone know that we talked about it today and we need some distraction so we are starting a competition. I asked for pictures yesterday well now we want to make it a little more exciting. Get creative... do something wild... take a picture of you with a gaggle of geese, a herd of sheep, wearing a ridiculous costume, doing a crazy stunt. The pictures will be judged by our elite panel (Me, Alivia, James, Pa, Gigi, Nan, De-dad and any Uncles that show up). There are three catagories....Wild Times (You and the animals), Incognito (costumes...the more pubic the location the more points will be awarded), and Antics (you hanging upside down from the top of a 40 story building....okay not that wild but you understand). We will start posting updates on the best photos of the day. And the winners will get some sort of something.... maybe a picture drawn by Miss Alivia or an autographed picture of her. So make sure your picture has the names of all involved and the address you want the prize sent to on the back. Also we will post the picture on the blog (if we can get writen consent from those involved). So start distracting. You can enter many times. Our walls are bare and boring and need some sprucing up. Get to it. Oh and Marmie just send a picture of you and Duffy...its bound to rank very high.

24 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just got some ideas for a photo opportunity. Hint: it will fit into the incognito catagory. Praying you sail through this! It will be so great when it's over and we are thanking God for a mighty miracle!!!! Aunt Cheryl

7:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought about all of you throughout the day-- I am happy it went well-- continuing to pray for a day of smooooooth sailing--GOD'S BLESSINGS !
P MILLER

7:37 PM  
Blogger momofcolin_chloe said...

So glad you're settled in! And that things are moving forward. I'll have to think on the picture idea, but I think we can come up with something! Should be fun. :) Thanks for keeping us posted. I know it isn't always easy, but it is much appreciated!

7:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Emily,
I just wanted to let you know that I am thinking of Alivia 24 hours a day. I don't think that there is a second that goes by that I don't think of her or you. Even through all of this, you seem to find happiness and laughter. That is awesome of you and your family. The pictures are a great idea. I will have to have Chris get his thinking cap on so that we possibly win first prize. I can not wait until this is over so that when Alivia is all better I can bring Cameron to meet your sweet little girl. I think they would be such great pals. Take care!

Love, Heather L.

8:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Emily and Alivia,
Ryan's up to the photo challenge. Do you want the photos mailed or emailed to you?

Holly

8:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI Jame & Emily & Alivia,
I'm so happy to hear things went well today! We just got done our family devotions & we all prayed for Alivia tonight. I wanted to let you know that I sent about 75 people your story thru email of my family & friends to pray for you today and for the next 6 weeks. I just checked my email & I got a lot of responses that people are praying for you & the neatest thing is that they all are strangers to you! When I call my mom several times a week I also give her all of your updates! I just wanted to encourage you that several of my friends & family in VA (back home), PA, MD, FL, MS, AR, TX, CA, IL, MI, & even my dearest friend who is is a missonary all the way in Africa are all praying!!! So you can say that there are tons of people all accross the United States & in different countries that are all coming together to pray for Alivia!! WOW, it's so exciting to know how many are praying! I'm praying for sleep tonight & that Alivia will take her meds without getting sick, which is something I'm fighting my Naomi to do 3 times a day with all of the remedies I'm giving her!

Love the idea about the crazy & wild pictures!

In Christ,
Hannah, Scott, Tirzah & Naomi Byers

9:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello! You have no idea who I am, but my sister knows you through one of your college friends. I've been reading your blog to get an update on Alivia. She is a beautiful, little girl and my husband and I have been praying for her and you guys. You are a true testimony of faith and an example for everyone. We will continue to pray...Laura & Jeremy Lathroum

9:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a fun idea, I'll have to see what pictures I can come up with:) I continue to pray for you all during this stressful time.
Stephen Smith

9:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a fantastic idea! God has gifted you with humor and creativity. I'm not creaive, but boy would I love to have a picture drawn by Livi. (I'm thinking!!)
One day at a time.
"Underneath are the everlasting arms" Deut 33:27
This is a promise of strength for each day and grace for every need.
Sleep well and be refresed as we will all "see" you in the morning. Thanks for keeping us posted. I will pray for smooth sailing.
Diana B.

10:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

emily,
I love your idea for a contest!!! Leah and I will have to think up something really good, perhaps a Blind Man's Bluff reinactment. ha ha. I am praying that Alivia does not get sick from the chemo meds.
love, Leslie M.

11:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is almost 8 and I wanted you to know that I'm praying for Alivia now. Great story about the room. Just remember that God always has room!!! Beejee

7:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

emily-
praying that you all "sail" through this transplant. praying as the morning starts that faith and hope will abound and that livi takes her meds (may it be the best tasting cherry flavor ever to her mouth)! love you-jamie

7:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We'll be praying you through the day Wednesday. I have gathered a few students to pray as well. God Bless!

9:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jim, Emily, Alivia and extended family,
We have been praying for Alivia every day for quite some time now. Jim, your grandfather, Jim McClements is my Dad's (Harold Roberts) cousin. Jim has given us some updates, but when my Mom told him Sunday that our children pray for Alivia everyday he gave her the blogspot address so we could keep more up to date. I'm so glad he did. Bonnie, age 4, and Johnny, age 3, pray several times a day for Alivia. Although, they can't understand everything their pray usually goes something like this, "Thank you, God, for Alivia. Help her feel better." I'll pray throughout the day today (Wednesday) for all of you. We have you on our church's pray list but I'm also going to call all the Mom's who have children around Livi's age so they can be praying today about the chemo. God bless you all. We'll be taking pictures too! What a great idea.
Quick question: movies should be DVD or VHS? We know of some unique ones that our children have enjoyed and almost sure no one else would get for her.

Melissa W. for all

9:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are praying for each step in Livi's process today. We trust that the Lord will allow the chemo to be effective without making her sick. God is able!

With love,
the Fedelis

10:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Emily,James& Alivia,

We are praying that you feel the mighty hand of God with you and yours.


Lois Sensenig

11:05 AM  
Blogger Momma.Smart said...

The three of us will get crackin on some good photos for you guys. Hopefully you'll keep this competition going for a while! Love and miss you guys...you are continually in our prayers. Let us know if there is anything else we can do!

12:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Praying and sendin my love. You know the Polaroid will be cranking. Yes, Marmie and Duffy will be my first targets.

Warmest hugs and wishes,

Lisa

12:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Emily,
You have no idea who I am, :) but I know your mom & dad from LOLC. Our babies were born 1 day apart. I pray for Alivia and you and James so very often. And, I am looking forward to God doing great things. With love, Janet Shilling

2:13 PM  
Blogger Julie Garner said...

Dang! I am sooo competitive! I better get on the picture taking. This weekend we are having Jude's first birthday party...there will be may crazy photo opps at that, I'm sure!

Just wanted to say we love you! Kiss Livi for us.

Julie

2:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great idea!! And with this fun crowd, you never know what you're going to get! :) When it's all over, wouldn't it be fun to have a long slide show to see all the crazy pics and rejoice with God?
Blessings! :)

4:14 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Hi! I just wanted to say that I am praying for you Alivia and family!!! I got your address of of Ian's site. Please know that I am praying! Thank you for the updates! I pray you sail through this with flying colors!!!!! ~ Jen

4:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We serve a loving, compassionate, merciful God. He will be with you every moment of this journey. You will never be alone. My family and I will continue to lift you up in our prayers. Thank you for keeping us updated. Gary D and family

5:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Emily this is such a fun idea! I hope that the hospital room is soon covered with rediculous pictures. I continue to pray for yinz, specifically that God will astound everyone who works with Livi at the hospital with a safe and quick recovery/ procedure time free of any side effects. So that she can be on the list of "sailing through unscathed."

Hope the next few days/weeks are full of laughter and God's comfort!

Megan Wallwork from Indiana.

11:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home