Who's the cutest girl around?

I am a mom of a cutie pie (very biased). And I wanted to share my experiences with others (including my cuties grandparents, great-grandparents, numerous uncles and other relatives). I love being a mom and can't imagine doing anything else.

Friday, August 24, 2007

From Carol


I only had the pleasure of knowing precious Livi for five months – while she was in the hospital. However, in those five short months, I absolutely fell in love with this charming, funny, sweet, adorable little girl (and her family!) How could I not? I took care of Livi nearly every day I worked, and she very quickly became my favorite patient on the floor (heck, my favorite patient of all time). I have many, many memories of Livi and if I put them all in this tribute, it would be five pages long, so I’ll talk about some of my favorites.

I loved watching that little girl being pushed around the ENTIRE hospitalin her pink car by her wonderful family while they talked to her, sang to her, and in general made her happy. She loved that little pink car covered in duct tape, and if the person pushing her (usually Pa and Gigi, while Emily got a little break) dared to stop pushing to, I don’t know, talk to someone (more often than not, me) in the hallway, she would say “GO!” and point her chubby little adorable finger forward. And she would keep saying “GO! GO! GO!” until they started pushing again.

One of my favorite parts of the night was when we would do her meds and put together her TPN (IV nutrition) tubing. Livi was the best little helper. She would sit on the bed or in Emily’s lap, and as I got garbage from the med syringes or the tubing, I would hand it to her and she would say “gahbage” (like a New Yorker – no “r”) and put it in the garbage bin. I find myself saying it now, not even thinking about it, and when people say “why do you say garbage like a New Yorker?” and I say “not like a New Yorker – like Livi!”

Just an example of how loved that little girl was (and is!!)…about a month or so into their stay here, Emily mentioned once or twice in her blog that Livi loved stickers. Before you knew it, that girl had more stickers than you would believe, and boy did she use them. Every day she would use stickers, usually making a sticker picture for someone she loved (I am the VERY proud owner of three!). She always had very specific designs in mind for each person, and if you would suggest a sticker outside the design, she would say “no,” put her hand up, and shake her head. One night, she was making something using Elmo stickers, and she RAN OUT of Elmo stickers. When Emily and I told her that were no more Elmo stickers, she just said “Pa…Elmo…” Like, duh, guys…call Pa, he’ll get more Elmo stickers. At one in the morning. The thing is, if we had called him to get more stickers, he would have. That man would move heaven and earth to make that little girl happy. A love like Pa had for Livi I have never seen on this earth. Every day, Pa, Gigi, Emily and James, along with the entire family, were a living example to me of perfect love, and that has remained with me even now.

I can’t even tell you how many hours I spent in her room playing with her, talking to her and loving her. She was the first person I went to see every day when I came to work. I loved walking into the room and hearing “it’s Cayrol!!!!!” (that’s how she said it…CAYrol). I have so many wonderful, cute, funny memories of Alivia that I feel that the few I mentioned here don’t do her justice.

In the very short time I knew Alivia, she (and her amazing, wonderful, loving family) affected me more deeply than any family I have ever cared for. I can not possibly put into words how much I love that little girl and her family. God could not have chosen a better set of parents than Emily and James for Livi to belong to for her short time with us. Livi was a very special little girl, sent to Earth for a reason. She touched every single person she came in contact with in some way or another, and she made the most of her little time. She was so full of life and so full of love, no matter how sick she was. She was a very brave little girl, and suffered more than any human should have to, but remained a fighter through it all. I am honored that I was able to be a part of her life and, like Manda said, feel privileged that I was there when her time on Earth came to a close. She could not have gone home to Jesus in a more peaceful way or more surrounded by love.

I think about Livi on a daily (usually many times daily) basis – she is never far from my thoughts. I miss her tremendously, but am comforted in knowing that she passed on knowing that she was so so loved. Livi will never know loneliness and she will NEVER know hate. That baby girl (BIG GIRL! – she was two (tyoo), after all) has never known and will never know anything less than absolute love. What a lucky, blessed girl.

21 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful! I love all of the memories you shared!

12:02 PM  
Blogger NETS said...

Yet another amazingly beautiful post.
Thank you for sharing your memories.

12:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As I've been reading all of the beautiful tributes, it is so amazing to see the constant exchange of blessings. Nurse to Livi, Livi to nurse, nurse to family, and on and on. Gods hand is so apparent. It's been 7 weeks since Livi's passing and I still think of her all time. I even find myself praying for her before I remember, she needs no more prayer. She has recieved the ultimate healing. But I will continue to pray for you Emily, James, Dave, Gretchen, Bill and Cynthia....my heart is with you.

12:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Cayrol", The word BEAUTIFUL comes to my mind as well after reading your post. Thank you for sharing your treasured stories! Laura Lapp

12:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This was really sweet! I'm loving these tributes.

1:16 PM  
Blogger Briana Almengor said...

The tributes just keep on getting better. I'm in a puddle of tears, wishing I could just be sitting and crying with you today, Emily and Gretchen, Dave and James. Livi truly was such a unique, little girl...such a gift to you as you were to her.

2:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Cayrol" was so right in that livi touched so many lives. She touched mine so much I don't think I can even describe it in words. Even though I didn't know your little livi as well as other people, she made me see things in a whole different way. I miss sweet livi..but enjoy reading about all the memories people got to share with her. I am praying for you guys.

love,
Moriah

3:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another great tribute to Aiivia, James, Emiy and extened famiy's testimony! God was seen through you! He is still at work through Alivia and her family!! I am proud to say that I got my confirmation today for being a bone marrow donor! Apparently I coudln't swab correctly when I was orignally tested at Alivia's drive. So I had to do a retest, that was processed and I received confirmation in the mail today!

3:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I miss your little Livi Emily. These stories do my heart good...it is really cool to hear the "other" side of the hospital stay. Thanks you for the posts. They are soothing to our aching hearts.
~krissy evans

4:23 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Carol,

loved all your memories and loved the last paragraph...

Haugherys and Allens - you guys are never far from my thoughts and prayers...

10:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oppps, forgot to sign my post earlier about being an "official donor". Noticied all the typos too. -Sue F.

11:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear James and Emily,
I thought of something tonight as I read this latest tribute: Isn't it something to think that the Lord "chose" Livi? He chose her to be the awesome little girl that she was! He "chose" her to be the testimony and witness to so many people! He "chose" her because He knew she had amazing parents who would "love her to pieces" and care for her like they did! He "chose" her because He is sovereign and knows all and cares for you all! But, He "chose" little Livi! Even though He knew how much time she would be on this earth, it was Him who "chose" this precious little girl to impact sooooo many lives! Be encouraged Emily and James! God also "chose" the 2 most loving parents in the world to care for her! He knows what He is doing! You are loved and cared for by Him! Keeping you all in prayer always!

12:50 AM  
Blogger Rachael said...

This is seriously the most adorable picture. Livi touched so many lives :) you guys loved her so much and she knew that more then she probably ever realized that she was sick. god bless : )

p.s hey emily i was wondering if you could help me with this whole blog thing cause i cant seem to figure it out lol. i know ur probably busy so if u can't dont worry. thanks

2:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you cayrol for your tribute. We knew Livi had wonderful nurses but did'nt fully appreciate how connected with Livi until meeting some of you after the funeral (how I hate that word and all it brings to mind ), and after Manda's tribute also. How I envied the time you spent with Livi. It was so hard being far away and we were always glued to our computers for the latest news from Emily. It is still hard to be away from Emily and James when we would just want to be with them. Emily, the picture with the green blankie rebibded me of shopping to try to find another like it. Always wanted to try to get anything Livi wanted. Think of the stickers that would have arrived the day God took her, and of the cards still here that I would have sent her. Emily, Buzz and Hazel were just here and told me that their Loti's chaidren prayed for Livi each night and now pray for our family. Love from Marmie and gratitude to all who cared for precious Livi.

11:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PS from Marmie, Jusr saw the many typing mistakes I sent without checking. I meant Lori, of course and children. You probably figured ou the "children" but wondered who Loti would be. Well, look at the errors in this message. I believe it was 60 some years since I learned to type and many years in between without until I mastered some compter knowledge. Guess that was about three years ago. I blame old age for all my mistakes. Surely an octogenarian Can place blame elswhere.

11:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you, CAYrol, for your sweet post!

God bless you, dear!

Still praying for the Allens and Haugherys.

Mary Ann K.

12:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the love your family shares is so obvious and strong. what an encouragement to me. even though we have never met.

thank you again for sharing the beautiful memories of your precious child.

your family continues to be in my thoughts and prayers.

God Bless you
Holly W

9:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful tribute!
I'm still praying for you, Haugherys and Allens.
God bless you -
Cathy S.

9:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what beautiful tributes people are posting. Those that never met your family can still feel a closeness to little Livi by reading others memories! God has used you and Livi to touch so many people's lives. How great that must feel. The love that Livi received is an example of the love our God has for each of us. He knew exactly what He was doing - in time, your sadness will fade, but the love that you gave and received by so many people will be remembered forever. Keeping you all in prayer. Beth Fulmer

9:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

cayrol............thanks for reminding us of those things. You made such a differnce in livi's life and ours........love, gigi

9:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those memories you shared are so cute.

7:39 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home