Who's the cutest girl around?

I am a mom of a cutie pie (very biased). And I wanted to share my experiences with others (including my cuties grandparents, great-grandparents, numerous uncles and other relatives). I love being a mom and can't imagine doing anything else.

Thursday, August 30, 2007

From Grande Aunt Lisa



Requiem For Our Livibug
I miss Livi. I love(d) Livi. Livi’s my grandniece. I’ve struggled for a couple weeks now, trying to find the right words that would memorialize her properly. Others have done it so eloquently. Every time I sit down to do it I get nauseous and my eyes well up so that I can’t see the screen. I don’t’ want to have to be writing these words in remembrance. I’d rather be reading her a book. My mother, Marmie, should be doing this. Her comments to all the blogs just blow me away. She expresses herself so well. She misses Livi. She love(d) Livi. Livi is her great granddaughter.
Every moment with Livi was a special memory. There weren’t nearly enough of them. I only had one goal every time I would visit that child. It was to make her smile. (The same was true of Emily, when she was a baby J) As has been told before, Livi had to be won over. She didn’t’ just warm up to anyone. It was a challenge for us Pittsburgh folk, because we didn’t get to see her on a regular basis. Every time was like a re-introduction. But the key was to get down on the floor and play with her toys. If you were creative enough, you would peak her curiosity and reel her in. I remember every visit to Dave and Gretchen’s in Indiana would entail the “entourage”, meaning anywhere that Livi went, we went. Usually we would all hang in the living room and Livi would be the center of attention. (I can’t remember any “adult” conversations in our family, once Livi came into it) A lot of the toys there were ones that Emily, Andrew and Aaron had when they were tots. I had no qualms about doing silly things with Livi and the toys, and my reward was her precious little smile.
I feel cheated that we won’t get to know her as she grows up. There are so many things that people wanted to do with her as she grew. What would her interests be? Would she be a brainiac, theatrical, musical, perhaps athletic? With the various talents that Emily and James have, there’s no doubt she would have been gifted. She was already a thoughtful and smart chicklet. You shoulda seen her doing "sign". I wanted to be her eccentric old “Aunt” who takes her for rides on her motorcycle and eats hot wings with her.
Now, Livi’s angelic face peers at me in every room of my house. There are beautifully framed pro shots that Emily and James had given as presents. There are tons of polaroids that I have taken and have cherished and shared with my friends and family. My laptop screensaver is a Livi montage. It makes me smile, it makes me weep. There are sticker posters in my office. These not only contain Elmo, monkeys and Snow White, but I have cut up some of the polaroids of Livi and interspersed her image with them. Too cute! She is indelible this way as she is in our hearts and now so many have her memory inked on their skin. Maybe a lot of people aren’t aware of this, but many in the Allen/Haughery clan have chosen this way to honor Livi - tattoos. I personally have my Livibug on my inner left forearm. This permanent tribute will initiate conversations for years to come about the sweet little girl that graced our lives for such a short, but profound time. Her legacy to us is so hard to put into words, it is an emotion that can only be described as L-O-V-E. The best tribute we can give to her is to keep her in our hearts. That is a given. It would be impossible for her not to be there.
I miss her. I love(d) her. She’s my grandniece - LIVI.
by grande aunt lisa

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh man, that is just too much. How sweet. One day, I'd love to see you post a picture of the tatoo's that the family has. You guys are such a strong family full of love.

5:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well said Grande Aunt Lisa.

leslie

5:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hooray for (grand) aunts! That was just awesome. As an aunt of ten beautiful and talented young people, I feel your love and adoration for Emily and Livi through your writing. Just incredible the journey of love and faith this child has given many of us.

Despite stumbling over words on Saturday, Emily - the Carroll Family is power praying for you and James and families.

Anne KC

7:45 PM  
Blogger Briana Almengor said...

I love that ya'll have tatoos..can't wait to see some of them. That was a very sweet tribute. She was an amazing little lady! Truly unique and captured your hearts and the hearts of so many, some of us who had only but a few interactions with her and even some who had none at all.
James and Emily, Allens/Haughery's..thinking of you and praying for you daily!

9:14 PM  
Blogger momofcolin_chloe said...

Thanks, GAL, for sharing!! Your words so richly share it all...the love, the devotion, the heartache. Praying for you all as much as ever...you hold a consistent place in my thoughts.

Christi

9:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can't think of anything to say right now. Memories so sweet of Lisa om the floor playing with Livi, and Livi responding to theplayfulness in Lisa. Livi felt the love. How we loved her and still do !!! Marmie

10:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lisa, you have nothing to worry about as far as writing goes. That was beautiful and I could hear it coming from you heart.

I think it's awesome that you each got tattoo's. I too would love to see a picture of the tattoo!!! :) What a beautiful tribute.

Vicki Moore

9:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have thoroughly enjoyed every entry and every comment on this blog. It continues to encourage me and sprinkles comfort and hope all over the sadness. I know I'm not the only one who is receiving this blessing. I am also Livi's great aunt and all the way in Alabama but I have felt alot closer because of this blog.

I feel like I've met a new bunch of friends (family, really, because of the Lord which is that much sweeter)

I only met Livi once, before she was sick. She was 5 months and it is a happy memory for me. I got a glimpse of the joy that she brought. I always smile when I think of it. Emily had her on a blanket on the floor and they talked and sang and played finger games in Cynthia's sun room and of course, the camera, that we joked was probably what Livi thought was really her mom's face - imagine her maybe chatting with baby Hannah about it... yea, I know she's "different" with a square head and that big round growth in the middle of her face, but she's my mom and I love her.... I remember telling everyone when I got back home to Alabama how smart and funny and cute she was and I was smitten.

Years ago, when we lost our son after he struggled 2 months in a NICU, it was our "saddest day" and I have lived with one foot in heaven and one here ever since. Its not a bad way to live actually,... I can hardly wait for that "happiest day" It's coming!
Aunt Marcy

1:02 PM  
Blogger linda anne said...

that.. made me cry.

love you guys and still think/pray of you often.

i still cant believe shes physically gone. but thats all it is. physically. from one look at this blog and from my own personal experience it is obvious to me and so many others that she is VERY much still here with us.

1:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Will you post a picture of the tatoos? What a beautiful way to always remember Livi!

3:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a blessing for Alivia to be born into such a great family. God knew. Praying - Sue F.

8:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you, Lisa. That was a beautiful tribute. Betsie

3:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh lisa, just the picture of you three made me cry..........the words were enough and more. you needn't have worried about them...i felt your heart in each and every one. I love you, GAL, and always will (the same with livi.........my adorable only grandchild). Gigi

5:41 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

I loved reading this. Thank you for posting.

Love,
Amy

9:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have read each and every tribute and love hearing more about Livi. I still can't get enough of her. I am still overwhelmed with the happiness Livi brought, the sadness that we all feel and the better person I try to be each and every day as a result of her and the loving family God chose for her. Thank you all for sharing. I'm still praying that each day is filled with God's new mercies and peace. I don't even know most of you but love you.
Diana B.

12:18 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home