Who's the cutest girl around?

I am a mom of a cutie pie (very biased). And I wanted to share my experiences with others (including my cuties grandparents, great-grandparents, numerous uncles and other relatives). I love being a mom and can't imagine doing anything else.

Monday, August 27, 2007

From my cousin Sarah



My memorial to the beautiful Livi Living hundreds of miles away from Livi meant that I did not get to enjoy nearly as much time with her as many of you who have been touched by her story. In her short life, I have seen Livi only a handful of times and I was never truly privileged to have entered her circle of trust. From what little time I did have with Livi, I remember two things the most. The first thing was that this child was so smart and determined. I remember the last time I saw her (in Indiana, a few weeks before her transplant) she had gotten a new doctor kit and performed exams on her animals again and again, each time making sure to go through all of the steps in the appropriate order. Livi always seemed so in tune with things, so perceptive, so impressive. I have the best polaroid from that day, of her standing by the couch in Gigi and Pa's living room... it's special to me because it has a big yellow blob in the middle from Livi bending while waiting for it to develop. The other thing I remember most about Livi was that she had this power to make everyone fall for her. Livi was the youngest guest at my wedding last summer and when we got the pictures back there were at least a half dozen of her. The photographer and everyone else there could not keep their eyes off of this adorable girl in her little white dress. Though Livi was never quick to open herself up to just anyone, everyone wanted to be near her. Emily's blog and how far it reached is proof that Livi was truly someone special. Livi had the power to change all of our lives in little ways. I didn't get to spend much time with Livi, but her passing made me realize just how important family is and how proud I am to be an Allen, my family is amazing. I was and still am amazed by the strength and courage that Emily and James and my entire family has shown. Having Emily as the oldest of our generation of Allens made her a role model for me my entire life and seeing her grow to become such a loving, giving, and strong mom and woman has only made me look up to her more. Seeing the love that Emily and James will always have for Livi makes me certain that I want to be a mom some day, especially knowing that I have Emily as a role model to look to. The ladybug that is now tattooed on my wrist will not only remind me of sweet Livi every single day, it also serves as a reminder that life is really too short to dwell on the small things that go wrong throughout my days and that it is really important to try and enjoy every moment in my life. I only got to know "the cutest girl around" a little bit, but she touched me every day of her life and will continue to affect me for the rest of mine. Love,Cousin Sarah

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the photos! The second one with "Pa" keeping an eye on "his girls" seems especially sweet. Thank you for another beautiful tribute. Still thinking of all of you, still praying.
Cathy S.

8:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And yet another tribute to how God has used this family for His Glory and to further His kingdom. Still praying!! Thanks so much for sharing! -Sue F.

10:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was so weird I sat down at my desk at work today & because I'm in training I would not normally log into my computer, but I decided to check my emails. In doing that I was going to check on a customers account & hit the blog saved in my favorites my mistake, well obviously it was no mistake, I was led there by what I believe was Livi's presence. I am so sorry not to have sent a memorial yet & will do so soon, it has been so diffult to put into words all I am feeling. My sweet Sarah said so much of what we are all feeling, especially the privlege it has been to be part of this wonderfal family. Livi was such a special, sweet, loving girl and I can't tell what the loss has done to us all. We think of you all constantly & share in this terrible grief. We love you & will see you all soon. Love Ree Ree

7:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thaanks, sweet Sarah. I love you, gigi
P.S. Some of my favorite memories with Livi involve the whole family in our living room with guess who as the center of attention? Who else but the cutest. Having said that I have to say Livi's behavior never reflected her being doted on by so many.......she was the sweetest little girl around.

8:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks to Sarah for describing Livi's attention to detail as in her play with the doctor kt. We were all rivited on Livi as she played whenever we gathered around her, and gather around her we did. She was the star and we her adoring audience. It is true that Livi was not spoiled by all the attention she received, and it is true that she was always the focus of attention no matter who all were present at our family get togethers. The world was her stage and we eagerly awaited every movement she made . It is no wonder there is such a terrible void in our lives. She enriched every moment in thought and in being in her prescence. She was a joy in every sense of the word. Love, Marmie

9:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was a wonderful tribute to read. I am so glad I did get to know "the cutest girl around" and I will never forget the way she touched my life. Instead of repeating everything Sarah said, I just have to say I agree with everything Sarah said about life, family, and livi. What a wonderful tribute Sarah. Thanks for sharing. Praying for the whole Allen and Haughery family.

love ya,
Moriah

9:37 AM  
Blogger momofcolin_chloe said...

Thank you, Sarah, for sharing! Thanks, as always, Emily for allowing us to relive Livi's life with you.

There is not a day that goes by...or hour most of the time...that I don't think about you all.

Christi

7:30 PM  
Blogger Tim said...

Not a day goes by where I don't think about Livi and what an amazing little girl she really was. I, as with Sarah, was not privileged to spend much time with her; but the time that I did have with her was awesome.

I remember vividly the day Sarah mentioned... sitting around in Gigi and Pa's living room watching her determinedly performing check-ups. What a cute little person she was. I couldn't take my gaze off of her that day. I will forever hold on to this memory of her; as she truly was the cutest girl around.

1:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

want a wonderful tribute to Livi. I only wish that I had been able to meet that sweet and adorable little girl! still praying for you all.
Becca

11:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love your cousin Sarah's memories of Livi and how well-put her words are. Others have said you do not know how you have affected them... not a day goes by that I do not think of you and James, whom I really don't know at all, and your Allen parents, whom I know just a wee bit more. If I am praying for you so much, I am confident that others are praying much more! You are still in our hearts, Allens, Emily & James.
Sara Brode

9:27 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home