Who's the cutest girl around?

I am a mom of a cutie pie (very biased). And I wanted to share my experiences with others (including my cuties grandparents, great-grandparents, numerous uncles and other relatives). I love being a mom and can't imagine doing anything else.

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

One Request

If you are reading this then I know that you can read and thus are also able to write....so I am collecting thank you notes once again...but this time for the outpatient hem/oc nurses. I am asking that every single person that reads this take 10 min to sit down and write ONE (you can write more but at least 1) thank you note. I am going to post their names and all you have to do is pick one of those names and write a quick note of thanks to bless that nurse. Even if we don't know each other, you've never met the nurses and you never post comments..thanks is a universal thing. These women deserve so much thanks. They daily deal with incredibly sick children and their stressed parents. I have never seen a single one of them without a smile and they are more patient than you can imagine. Any time we have to be in the office for an extended time they are always asking if we need anything and more than one of them has hugged me as I cried. These women are mothers, daughters, sisters, wives and friends just like me and yet they do the hardest job I can imagine doing. They are the ones who give the chemo, put in the needles, and dry the tears of some many. Ask my parents or Cynthia..they have all witnessed their care and concern. I am going to put together a gift bag for each of them and I want to include a ton of thank you notes. This is a good chance to teach kids to write thank you notes (homeschool project!!) or get back in the habit of using snail mail or a good lesson for a Sunday school class. I will be keeping a running tab each day of how many notes I get. I want to try to get at least 100. I know it seems like a lot but not if every single person writes one. Thanks ahead of time for doing this. People are always saying they want to help or what can they do... well folks THIS IS IT!!!

I am going to give them the gift bags the first week of September so I need all notes by August 31st so I have a chance to organize. This is really a chance to honor and bless some really great women who weekly bless us.

Here are their names....Holly, Lois, Cindy, Carol, Joanne, Chris, Maritza, and Denise. Also I am including Janiece in this list. She is not a nurse but works for Child Life and is in charge of getting whatever it is we need to make the visits easier. She also is in charge of all crafts, toys and activities.

Our address is
2768 Lititz Pike
Lancaster, PA 17601

Thank you notes thus far 9 (all from me)

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Emily, I promise you I will write at LEAST one note to a nurse ... they sound amazing. Remember that each hug and smile from the nurses, every sacrifice made by your parents, every laugh from the belly of your little one, is an image to you of your God. It is His kindness and character coming through them to you.
Thank you for keeping this blog and allowing us all to see into your life from so far away. I appreciate so much your honesty and openness, and being able to read about Livi, your family, and this walk you are on. Still praying,
Sara Brode

2:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Emily:

The thank you notes will be coming from us in the next week (in a priority mail envelope). It wouldn't take long at all to pull it all together except that I would like to run to the store to get some special cards and I will be sending multiple ones in an envelope from the post office. I wish I had been able to do this all sooner, but things got out of hand in the week leading up to our going out of town (packing with three kids running around the house in the middle of the summer...aaahhh!!!).

I still have the names of the other nurses you wrote about a few weeks back (and your home address). Do you have any specific names you want us to put down for this other group of nurses or do you want the ones to this group to just be general thank you notes?

This is all so sweet of you....doing all of this. I know that they do an amazing job, but you are going through a tremendous amount yourself emotionally, physically, spiritually and it is nothing short of a miracle that you are able to think of others in such an organized manner during a time like this. I am sure they will LOVE their baskets.

Love,

Caroline

P.S. I will try to get Piper and Maren to draw some illustrations on the thank you notes!:-)

P.P.S. I loved the picture of Alivia watching a video while she was receiving her transfusion. It is so sweet the way you all keep everything as normal for her as possible.

2:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WHOOPS! Somehow I missed the last paragraph of your blog (my brain is fried by the summer sun and three kids looking forward to going back to school)....thanks for the names of the nurses! I will do a batch for both groups of nurses. Thanks also for giving everyone your address again. You are such a sweetie to be doing all of this.

Love,

Caroline

2:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wrote each name down and will be working on thank you's for each one of these women who God has used to bless your family. I will try my best to get them in the mail by the end of the week.
Your fervent desire to bless these nurses back and to get us all involved is a wonderful example. I continue to pray for you and your family as you walk through all this.
Love,
Laura Carroll

3:06 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Great idea! Will do!

Love,
Sara

4:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Em,

You are unbelievable!!! So many people in your position would be thinking of nothing else but what you are going through but you thought of this wonderful idea to give thanks to those who have supported you! I'm going to the store tomorrow!

In my prayers,
Shannon

9:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

“The words of a hand-written note are often written more carefully, read more intently, and remembered more fondly.” k. thiss

(one of my favorite quotes from a favorite friend)

so thank you for the assignment, i'll get on it :) kb

10:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, these nurses are incredible. They are caring, experienced, tender and efficient. They are good at what they do. They treat us as if we are their most important patient, and then turn around and do it for the next patient. The sad, sad cases that walk through these clinic doors are heartbreaking. I want to ask everyone, what does your child have, how are you doing this? It is truly the walking wounded. The wall has a quilt on it, with pictures and dates of children that have died...these are real families. Yet, the nurses, they are cheerful, caring and tender. Truly a ministry for those of us in such a vunerable position. It is surreal, how someone is led into oncology to treat the most sick. Yet, I did see someone at the first desk making an appointment for six months!!! Eureka. We are attempting to rejoice in hope, persevere in tribulation and pray continaully. Since the meds were stopped due to possible toxicity, God is truly our only hope. We have known this from the onset, and he has gently reminded us again of his sovereignty. Thank you all for your concern and prayers...we so need your lifting us up. God will be glorified in our weakness...
(Lest you think I have become competely done in, if I had gone for the ice cream and saw a line at the register I would have given someone $2 and told them to pay!!!) My belief that somehow some laws don't truly apply to me has been amplified...at a recent traffic jam, I just drove up the flag girl and said I had an emergency and had to get medicine for a sick child. A grandma on a mission. She let me drive on through, of course. Thank you for loving us through this time and before too. We love you all. Gretchen/Gigi/ Mom

10:38 PM  
Blogger Julie Garner said...

Three down...a few more to go! Count us in! We'll write a note of thanks to each of them. We're thankful you are so blessed by them.

Julie

12:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! Got a few written this morning...will give them to you when we meet up later!!!

Love, Les

7:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Emily, On this hot day the kids & I sat down this morning & wrote notes to the nurses! What fun they had! Afterwards, Autumn was still unsure why we were writing notes to Mrs. Haughery's "nursers". I had quite a laugh with that one and quickly set her straight.Thanks for all your doing, is there any thing we can contribute to the care packages? Love & Blessings, Brandi & family

11:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Emily:

Sorry that I was so confused yesterday and completely forgot that you had posted the nurses' names on your blog yesterday.

I went and bought the thank you notes last night and will be sending one for each of the nurses that you have listed (both now and a couple weeks back).

I only have one question left before I send everything out and it is more of a question..or rather a suggestion...for others (not for myself). I took the route of buying the packages of thank you cards with 10 cards in a pack so that I could send them to everyone rather than just picking more unique cards for just two or three of the nurses.

For those that aren't making the thank you cards themselves and are not sending them to every nurse, could you keep a tally of how many you have for each nurse's name (as well as a tally of how many cards you have and who they are from)? That way, people who haven't sent cards yet will know to make cards out for the nurses that haven't had one written up for them yet (or who have less cards than others).

I so wish we had time to personalize all of them with a drawing and maybe we will, but school starts back tomorrow here (unbelievable) and my oldest who is the artist in the family already has a homework assignment just from going to Open House last night (doesn't bode well for third grade):-).

Hope you all have a blessed day! Hugs and kissed to Livi!:-)

Love,

Caroline

2:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ya know, I just saw you and forgot to give you those notes!!!! I am sure I will see you again soon! Fun spending the day with you!

Love, Les

2:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey emily,
i will definatley write a thank you note to the nurses. Just thinking about how they care for livi makes me fell happy inside. I am praying for you guys every day. Remeber to call out to the Lord for help.

love ya,
moriah

7:50 PM  
Blogger beth said...

hey em,
i've got them all ready to mail to you...
love you all,
beth

12:26 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home