Who's the cutest girl around?

I am a mom of a cutie pie (very biased). And I wanted to share my experiences with others (including my cuties grandparents, great-grandparents, numerous uncles and other relatives). I love being a mom and can't imagine doing anything else.

Monday, September 18, 2006

Bad day...good ending


This face pretty much sums up our day. It was a long, hard day. Alivia and I got to the hospital around 10:30 got the blood draw done and went for a walk. ON the way back Cynthia walked around the corner to meet us (Thank GOD!!) which I wasn't expecting...thanks for being our friendly face today Cynthia. We walked together to the clinic and got her numbers...which weren't good. The reds were down to 7.7 so we had to have a transfusion. And the WBC's were up to 154. Not good. We ended up seeing another doctor (not ours since he wasn't in clinic today). Alivia didn't even fuss (maybe cause the doc is a female and thus not scary in Alivia's mind). Then we had lunch while we waited for the blood to get there for the transfusion. In talking to people throughout the day I got the impression that everyone assumes we are having a transplant after we go to Hopkins. That was a hard thing to realize. I had a good cry in the hall on the way to lunch. I was much more tired today than I have been in a while. I felt like I was ready to cry almost all day. The blood got there (finally) and the got her all hooked up but she kept playing with the port and ended up pulling it out. Of course there was blood all over (from the IV bag...but still really scary looking). So she had to be re-accessed. They sprayed stuff on that "freezes" the area (numbs it). Livi hated it and was freaking out and I had to hold her down. It was horrible. I just held her little arms and cried along with her. After all that we got going again and she feel asleep for a bit. But throughout the transfusion they have to check her blood preassure often and when they did she woke up and started screaming like she was being tortured. It was so sad. We finally got out of there and got home around 4:45. I had a good long cry on the way home (thanks for listening Rach...love you).

Now for the good ending. We got home and Erin had just gotten home also and she had been to Target to get presents for the treasure box and shortly after Dan and Julie Garner stopped by with bag after bag of toys that their friends had donated. So I've decided that I won't wait till November to take them in but instead take a few bags each time I go. Believe me it is much needed. There still isn't anything but pink plastic horses in there. For the second time in a row Livi didn't even want a toy. I can't wait to see the kids faces when the open the chest and its filled with all the toys people are donating. AMAZING. Here's a shot of the toys I will be taking with my this Thursday. Can you believe how many there are already?



Thanks for today....
Dan and Julie Garner for getting the word out to more people about the toys.
Toys for the kids from....Erin Wallwork, Neysa and Nathan Thomas, Deb Gilmore, Tania Flaiz, Brenda Spackman, and Faye Holbein, her son and Mother-in-law

Cards from Mary Ann Kisic (and stickers), Beth Altrogge and Marmie

And a great dinner from the Minichs and from the Olivers.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Emily,

Even sad that face is so sweet! So sorry that today was so hard for you both!

How wonderful that so many have already responded so generously with gifts for the kids! What a difference you are making.

I pray that tonight brings you all peaceful rest and that the sun shines brightly on you in the morning.

Praying for you!

7:46 PM  
Blogger Julie Garner said...

Emily,

I can't imagine your days. I promptly got in the car and before I was out of your driveway I was in tears, feeling in some small way, the weight of what you are going through. I'm glad the toys were a bright spot in your day and I know there will be so many more for you. My friends don't know you, but they are touched by your willingness to serve strangers in this time of your own personal suffering. There are so many prayers being offered up for Alivia that you can't even imagine.

I love you guys!
Julie

8:06 PM  
Blogger Audrey said...

Emily~
Thank you for your heart to serve in the midst of your time of suffering...What a testimony of God's grace in You and how that shines Christ's love to others. We are praying for you all...
Audrey

8:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That entry made me want to cry for you. I wish I could give you a big hug right now and tell you it will all be ok , but since I can't, you'll have to hug yourself for me :-)! I can't imagine how hard this is for you, no matter how hard I try, but when I read your entries, I see your faith through it all. Keep on trusting God through all of this. He has a plan for it all. I want to say more, but i don't know how to put it in words. Please know that I think about you and pray for you guys everday. I am praying for livi everyday too. She is so little, and goes through so much, but I still see her smile at least once at church, which makes me just want to smile with her. You are in my thoughts and prayers Emily.

Love ya,
moriah

8:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alivia, Emily, & James,

I had a great time with you this weekend. It was too short. I've been going through Livi-withdrawal. I'm praying for you and just want to say that I am here for you (except when i'm there, then i'll be there for you). Please give little Alivia a nice hug from me.
Love, Andrew

8:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i got a refund check from my college today... and getting toys is on my list for tomorrow.. im SO EXCITED. i just love doing stuff like this. emily you and anything i can think of involving james, alivia, and youre lives are in my prayers whenever i think of you throughout the day. There is a weight on my heart for you and it is very real...
With a big hug,
linda anne

12:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok ok, so why am i up so late?/early in the morning?? (look at the post time of this comment..) i just got finished reading your ENTIRE blog, every entry. what a ride, and why didnt i board long ago?? i am completely sold for this blog and this family (even tho i feel like family as a part of Crossway) and am looking forward to what God has "up his sleeve". ...must be a large sleeve...

3:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh, and i am also praying while im up... not just anyone is up at this hour of the day. and who knows? maybe you are too -well you are being lifted up in prayer whether asleep or (most likely) awake. may God pour out a peace that passes all understanding on you tonight emily. -linda

3:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Emily,

You should know that you are blessing those of us who don't even know you and who don't even have children by enabling us to share in this ministry for the kids of Hershey Med. Thank you for your selfless giving, of reaching beyond your own child's need to help others.

May the Great Physician tend to all your family's needs, and please know you are in our hearts and in our prayers. Big hug to Alivia (and I hope she enjoys the duck!)

:)

Deb Gilgore
(friend of Julie Garner)

9:45 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home