Who's the cutest girl around?

I am a mom of a cutie pie (very biased). And I wanted to share my experiences with others (including my cuties grandparents, great-grandparents, numerous uncles and other relatives). I love being a mom and can't imagine doing anything else.

Thursday, December 21, 2006

Phewy

Today was not what I expected at all....It was worse. I had told James I knew the WBC's would be up and I thought she might need a RBC tranfusion. I was right on both. I said as long as they stay below 100 I'll be okay...Well they went to 103.....grrr. And no idea why.

We arrived at clinic, gave the nurses their Christmas present and got accessed. Only the port didn't want to give blood. This has happened before. Sometimes its just positional and all we need to do is get her to look up or lay down or move her arm. But nothing was working this time. So they put in TPA (drain-0 for the port) to de-gunk the tubes. Sometimes it works right away or in our case it took 2 hours. So we went to lunch (nice to see you C, K, X and B) and went back to clinic. Finally it worked and the blood went to clinic. It was after 1 by this time. We did whatever we could to keep a sleepy Livi entertained and then got into an exam room to see the Doc. Still our counts weren't back from the lab. Finally they came back and we found out all of them were bad.
WBC's 103 (they were 24 last week)
RBC 7.7 (our doc wants them above 8)
platelet's 27 (57 last week)
By this time though it was too late for a tranfusion so we have to go back tomorrow for both. That is 4 hours of tranfusion. But at least we know what to expect and can wear our comfy clothes. Not the Christmas present we wanted. We finally got home around 4:30

I am tempted to think why couldn't we have a Christmas miracle. But then I realize we already have it...we aren't in the hospital for Christmas. How easily I forget that we were supposed to spend the holiday's in the hospital. So I'm choosing to be thankful instead of sad. And anyway if I start crying now I may never stop.

We had our family Christmas with James' side of the family. It was very nice (we were late since we got home so late). Dinner was great (thanks Cynthia) and we had fun giving gifts and watching Alivia open hers. She is so deliberate. Ever last bit of paper has to be off the package and then she can look at the present. So funny. We also took another, more organized family photo. I'm excited to see how they turn out.

I need to go to bed. My eyes are getting blurry and we have another long day tomorrow.

Please pray that Alivia's spleen doesn't get bigger. It already has a bit and the spleenectamy is definetly back on the table. Pray that the tranfusion gets the counts back up. Pray that the Gleevac starts to work again. Pray that she is healed. Pray a special blessing on the nurses and our Doc. They take such good care of us.

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

thank you for the choice you are fighting to make...choosing to be happy that you aren't in the hospital. Kristi and Tanya came over this evening, and we spent some good time praying for Livi and you guys. If I can't be with you I can be praying with you! Love you with all my hearts...Mom

11:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sorry it was a hard day emily!
I am so thankful you're not spending Christmas in the hospital (what a blessing that you'll be at home without all the bells & residents & cafeteria food).
Praying now for His healing in your sweet girl.
kb
p.s. i have nothing against residents

12:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

up and thinking of all of you...sorry you had a bad day.:-( It is so great that you chose to be happy about being home. Sometimes it is hard to chose to be happy and believe me, I know what it feels like to be afraid you won't stop crying if you start. Your strength is amazing and I know it will see you all through. Have a wonderful Christmas!

Caroline

1:51 AM  
Blogger Briana Almengor said...

I'll be praying for you on our way down to Hopkins today. You are such an example to me, Emily, in your choice to give thanks when circumstances are so much less than preferrable. As much as Livi is a blessing to you, you are being such a blessing to her in all of this, too, as you make those choices to give thanks.

love you much, friend.

7:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

emily-
praying for your day today as you head back for the transfusion and that the counts will go back up. your mindset to choose to be thankful when the unexpected happens is an example to me. praying that the four hours will go so quickly. Have a wonderful Christmas with your family. love you-jamie

7:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Praying for you Emily. Bad news after good news is always so hard...crushing. Wishing you all peace over the holiday and praying today goes well with Alivia. Will be thinking of you and praying for you everyday.

8:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you are so brave emily. I can see you are putting all your trust in the lord, keep it up. i am sorry your day wasn't the best. i will pray for you guys. I am praying for a miracle for livi.

love,
moriah

2:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Big secret they don't tell you: sometimes it really stinks to be a grown-up. We are praying for you to have the strength you need to go through each day.

I am so glad that Alivia is in our family. She is such a blessing! I just got your card with her precious picture in her baby Gap sweater that William took when I was there. I just want to do a little dance around that we have Alivia in the world! Woohoo! We are going to pray and pray and pray. Thank God we can still pray for her! Whoohoo! Aunt Cheryl

5:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Emily,

I am a total stranger to you. I live in Elizabethtown, PA I came across your little girl's story through the local media coverage. Unfortunately, I also have leukemia. I have CML and take a daily dose of Gleevec. I thought it was interesting to actually know of someone else using this medication since I have never met anyone who takes it.
Please know that Livi is in my prayers daily. I pray that you and your family will have a truly magical Christmas holiday. May God bless you through the rough times. If you ever have any questions or anything concerning Gleevec please feel free to email me.
Sharon

9:04 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home