Who's the cutest girl around?

I am a mom of a cutie pie (very biased). And I wanted to share my experiences with others (including my cuties grandparents, great-grandparents, numerous uncles and other relatives). I love being a mom and can't imagine doing anything else.

Friday, May 26, 2006

chemo begins

We had our first treatment this morning. It went well. Its just an oral med so I can give it to her. She took it easily and laughed when it was done. She has always been really good about taking medicine. We had to wait an hour before she ate (empty belly for this medicine) and then we went to breakfast. She wasn't eating very much so we tried a donut (bit hit) then we can up and gave her a bottle. Then she had her steriods and some medicine for her stomach. About half an hour later she started to throw up. I was trying to get her to take a nap at the time. So she got me really good. And her blankie (if you know her you know her serious love and attachment to a specific blankie...no sleeping unless she has it). So I paged the nurse, we got her undressed, I changed, she got a sponge bath, we washed blankie in the shower (the washer is broken here and there is no way we could take the time to send it to someones house to be washed!) and got it quickly in the dryer. She had a blast taking her sponge bath and was completely unfazed by the throwing up. They don't know if it was the chemo, the steriod, the donut or the combo of all. So we are stopping the steriod and no more donuts for a bit. Hopefully that will fix the problem.

She is napping now. (Woke up at 7:30 didn't go for a nap till 11:15..that is a really long time in 1 year old land). So we are hopeful this will be a really good nap. She has been happy and silly all day. Her Pap-pap (my dad) and Gigi are a great source of entertainment and she loves when they walk in the room.

Last night was okay. We were up about 10 or 12 times. But they were pretty short so that was nice. The nurses only came in 3 times. The other times she would just wake up scared and I just had to hold her for a second and she would calm down. (Not like the night you slept at our house Jamie....)So even though the sleep was interrupted there was still sleep. I had a really hard time getting to sleep last night. I am not sure why (could be the stress, the wooden slab I call a bed, the freezing air blowing on my face, the screaming child next door, the constant sound of doors opening and closing, or the bright glow of the IV machine) but I had a hard time. So I'm not taking a nap today in hopes that I will be too tired to be kept awake tonight. Hopefully my plan won't backfire. Funny thing about hospital rooms...the heat is impossible to truly control. If you set it at 68 you might freeze to death, 70 and you have a sauna, 69 isn't too warm but not that cold. You can almost bear it if you have 3 blankets, sweatpants and a sweatshirt. I forgot about that added treat from the last time I was here. Oh well...hopefully we'll be home soon so it won't matter. Just makes me love my bed more.

We are probably going home Monday although he said if everything is "perfect" we might get to go home Sunday. So there is something to pray for. Alivia and I would love to spend Monday at home with my brothers, parents and James (he's taking the day off...whoo hoo). Maybe we could even cook out and hit a park. Oh the little pleasures in life. Things that before this all started I took for granted. I sure am learning to appreciate every single second (even the ones where I'm being puked on!) wouldn't trade it for the world.

pray that...
...we get to go home Sunday
...the blood draw later today shows good results
...that it was the steriod that made her sick not the chemo
...that she doesn't need a blood transfusion or not more than 1 or 2 (we have two people who have donated so I wouldn't mind if she used that blood...thanks Cynthia and Keira!)
...that tonights sleep is better
...that she continues to be happy girl
...safe travel for Andrew and Aaron (to Lancaster) and John, Chris and Will (to Louisville)

Thanks for today
Again the nursing staff is blowing us away with there care and attentiveness. We are so blessed by them. So far Emily, Kim and Steph have given us their full attention. We have yet to meet a nurse we didn't love. Thanks ladies for doing your job above and beyond the job requirement.
The Corey Booker Band (that means you Kathy, Xander and Bryn) for letting my dad crash and opening your home time and again. Maybe one day he'll meet the kids when he stays.

Thanks for all the comments. They easy my worried heart.

8 Comments:

Blogger beth said...

praying for you. i'm glad you are well taken care of... i love you and miss you and will talk to you soon.

lovebeth

12:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

emily- i was reading this morning in hebrews and it was a good reminder for me that out God is a GREAT high priest.
"For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin. Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need."
Hebrews 4:15-16

keep drawing near to Him throughout the day as He continues to give you grace! it is evident and how good he is to give you attentive nurses! i will pray too that your plan of no nap will not backfire, but will give you a sound sleep tonight! alivia must be comforted to know that you are right there by her side when she wakes up at night!
love you and praying for you~jamie

1:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

keep running to the cross, God will not leave your side. i am praying for you. i hope you get to go home Sunday.

God bless you,
Christi Boronow

1:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

May you be comforted by the peace that only God can give you...Thanks for always updating us all on how we can best pray for you all...
Praying for you...
Audrey

3:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will be praying for you guys! Thank you for keeping everyone updated. It is nice to have things to specifically pray for for your family. thank you again for the great role model you are to me and so many others, your love for you family, God and others impacts me in so many ways. I hope you get some rest! I am glad the treatment went well so far and I hope livi doesn't throw up anymore! I pray you guys can come home on Sunday. I pray that miracle for livi will come soon, and that the treatment will be succesful. Remember to keep crying out to God for help, he will help you get through these hard times. GET SOME REST!

Praying hard,
moriah

3:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to hear your update. I have kind of been in knots all day. I was out at Target and Costco (second time this week...can't get enough of either) and just doing my shopping and then it would hit me...I NEED TO PRAY! So, just been praying all day. Hope it continues to go well and that you can be home for a day with the fam! Jamie's verse from Hebrews was so great to read...God almighty sympathizes with you and is there extended his mercy.
Hope you sleep better tonite. Skipping the nap will probably really help, you should be pooped!
Glad that your mom and dad are there for support and comic relief for Livi!!!
Love ya- Les

3:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Emily,
You have been resting on my mind continuously. We are praying for you and missing you. I will specifically be praying for a good night sleep so that you are able to be at your best in order to care for Alivia tomorrow. I am so thankful for your blog so that I can check it (about a million times a day) for updates. We love you all!
April

8:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Emily,
Thanks so much for continuing to update us with the blog. It is so helpful to know how to specifically pray for you all. I check for updates often and you are never far from my thoughts and prayers. Know that there are still caring folks checking this we just don't always comment. May you feel rested tomorrow. We will pray that your stay is short and that Livi responds well and quickly to the treatments. You have reminded me not to take things for granted. Thanks for your example and for sharing your thoughts and struggles. Keep your eyes on Jesus for he is your hope and strength. We love you guys.

Love, Kendra

9:55 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home